Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
In a small bowl, stir the flaxseed meal together with 5 tablespoons of water. Set aside for 5 minutes to thicken (this creates 2 "flax eggs.") Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and lightly coat 10 cups in a standard 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
In the bowl of a standard mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl, combine the maple syrup and coconut oil until well blended. Add the thickened flaxseed mixture and beat until fully combined. On low speed, beat in the pumpkin puree, almond milk, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, stir together the white whole wheat flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients all at once to the wet ingredients. By hand, stir with a wooden spoon or spatula, just until the flour disappears. The batter will be very thick. Fold in the chocolate chips, reserving a few to sprinkle over the top if desired.
Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. For the tallest, fluffiest muffins, use a triggered scoop, which ensures even portions and helps the muffins rise. Fill each cup almost to the top. (The pan should yield 10 muffins, but there may be a little more or less.) Sprinkle the tops with the remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 26 to 28 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. With a fork or dull knife, very gently remove the muffins from the pan and place them on a wire rack to finish cooling (do not let them sit in the pan for too long or the heat let off by the muffins expanding will be trapped in the pan and cause the edges to become soggy). Enjoy!
Source: Well Plated
Courtesy of: Well Plated
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted cooled coconut oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup Almond Breeze Original Unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (mini or regular - dairy free if you'd like the muffins to be vegan)
Included in this recipe