Vegan Carrot Cake
Serves Up To
- 2 1/4 cups flour (I used half spelt and half cake flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup Almond Breeze Original Almondmilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup (melted) coconut or canola oil
- 2 cups grated carrots (just shy of 1lb)
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts (soaked; drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked; drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 cup Almond Breeze Original
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 325 and grease a 9x13 (or similar) baking pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, almond milk, vanilla, sugar and oil.
Mix the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients.
Fold in the carrots and stir until just combined.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting: combine frosting ingredients into a high speed blender. Start the blender on low and gradually increase speed (the mixture will be very thick at first). You can add an extra tablespoon of almond milk if necessary to get your blade moving.
Blend until very smooth.
Chill for at least 30 minutes before spreading (it'll firm up a bit).
Store leftover frosted cake in the fridge.
Made with these products:
- Feel free to sub whole wheat pastry flour for the spelt flour.
- Soak your cashew and macadamia nuts overnight. I recommend using a very high speed blender (vitamix, blendtec, or similar) for this frosting.
Courtesy of: Love and Lemons
Recipes Straight to Your Inbox
Sign up for the latest recipes and product updates