Important Consumer Alert: Recall of a limited number of 64 oz Refrigerated Vanilla Almond Breeze almondmilk announced because the product may contain trace levels of milk, an allergen not listed on the label. READ MORE
Chicken with Creamy Eggplant and Tomato Sauce
|Total Fat||9.6 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||37.4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9.9 g|
Boil water for the pasta. When it’s ready, salt well and add the pasta, cooking according to package directions. Drain, toss with a little olive oil, and set aside.
Cut the chicken breasts into 3 pieces each. Season the chicken pieces generously on both sides with lots of salt and pepper. Place the flour on a plate or shallow bowl, and dip the the chicken pieces in, then shake off the excess.
Set a large skillet over high heat for 5 minutes, until very hot. Pour in enough oil to coat the surface, then turn the heat down to medium-high. Brown the chicken until golden on each side, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Be sure not to crowd the pan—better to do this in two batches. Remove to a plate. (Don’t taste the chicken, it’s likely not fully cooked).
Add a little more oil, then add the eggplant pieces and cook until brown, 3 minutes, then flip and cook another 3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt, then push the eggplant to the side and add add the onions, pepper, and garlic, and continue cooking until the eggplant and the onions are soft, 2 to 5 minutes. Add the tomato and cook another minute or two, til it releases its juices.
Return the chicken to the pot, then add the almond milk. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and cook until thickened and the chicken is done, about 5 minutes. Drizzle on the vinegar, and taste for salt. Serve over the pasta and garnish with minced chives.
- Salt as you go in this one. That’s always important in cooking, but between the white meat, the eggplant, and the tomatoes, this one really needs to be well-salted to sing.
Featured In: Food Blogger
Courtesy of: Big Girls Small Kitchen
- 1/2 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original (or for extra creaminess use Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almondmilk Cashewmilk Blend Original)
- About 1 cup small pasta shapes (or make rice or just serve with bread)
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- About 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 medium eggplant - trimmed and cut into large pieces
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1/2 minced jalapeño - seeds removed
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 large tomato - cut into a large dice
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- A few minced chives and/or parsley leaves