Instant Pot Golden Chicken and Rice
Set a 6-quart or larger Instant Pot to SAUTE mode. Add the coconut oil. Once hot and shimmering, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
Add the brown rice, carrot, red pepper, garlic, ginger, cumin, salt, turmeric, and coriander. Stir to coat the rice in the oil and spices and cook until very fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the almondmilk coconutmilk. Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer on top.
Cover and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure (manual) for 20 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, and then vent to release remaining pressure.
Uncover and remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Dice or shred with two forks and return to the pot. Add the peas and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve hot, topped with cilantro and toasted coconut. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat gently in the microwave. (TIP: Hide the leftovers from your husband if you want to enjoy this a second time).
To Make on the Stovetop: In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt the coconut oil over medium high. Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces and sauté until cooked through. Remove to a plate and set aside. Add an additional 2 teaspoons coconut oil to the pot. Once hot and shimmering, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Continue with step 2 as written, but do not add the chicken. Turn the heat to low, cover the pan, and let cook until the rice is done, about 40 minutes. Stir in the reserved chicken and peas, and then serve with cilantro and toasted coconut.
Courtesy of: Well Plated
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 3 large carrots peeled and cut into diagonal 3/4 inch-thick slices
- 2 large red bell peppers cut into wide strips (about 3/4 inch) halved if long
- 3 cloves garlic minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon micnced fresh ginger (or substitute 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup Almond Breeze Almond Coconut Unsweetened Original
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- i cup frozen peas thawed
- freshly chopped cilantro for serving
- toasted coconut or coconut flakes (optional for serving)
Included in this recipe
Recipes Straight to your Inbox
Enjoy tasty recipes and other great extras.