Thin Shell FAQs
This page contains frequently asked questions about our snack almonds. If you have a question that you don't see answered here, please send it to us using our Contact form and we'll respond as quickly as possible.
- Do I need a nutcracker to open Blue Diamond Thin-Shell Almonds?
- Can I eat the almond shells of Blue Diamond Thin-Shell Almonds?
- How should I store Blue Diamond almonds?
- Are Blue Diamond almonds genetically engineered (GMO)?
- How are Blue Diamond Thin Shell almonds made?
- Are Blue Diamond products "peanut free"?
- Are Blue Diamond products "gluten free"?
- Why do some of your seasoned products, such as Smokehouse®, have fewer carbohydrates per serving than your Whole Natural?
- Does Blue Diamond sell organic products?
- Do Blue Diamond products contain the ingredient MSG?
- Is the salt used in your products iodized?
- Some of your products contain the ingredient "maltodextrin". Does maltodextrin contain gluten?
- Do you use "soy" in your products?
- Do any of your snack almonds products contain dairy ingredients?
No, Blue Diamond Thin-Shell Almonds naturally have a shell thin enough to open by hand (similar to a peanut or pistachio shell).
We do not recommend eating almond shells.
Our snack almonds are packaged in air tight containers to preserve freshness. Once the packages are opened the almonds should be consumed within one to two weeks. Storing almonds in the refrigerator after opening will extend the shelf life to about four weeks. When storing products in the refrigerator use sealed containers to protect against moisture and odor absorption.
No. Blue Diamond uses California almonds grown by our grower co-operative members without the use of genetic engineering or gene manipulation. The varieties of almonds available were developed using traditional agricultural breeding techniques.
Blue Diamond brings fresh almonds straight from the orchard and slowly dry roasts them until the shell becomes delicately thin and easy to open.
Blue Diamond branded products produced in our facilities are peanut free. We do not process, manufacture, store, or handle peanuts or peanut products in our facilities.
Most of our products do not contain ingredients derived from wheat or other gluten grains. The following Blue Diamond products contain gluten.
- Jordan Almonds
- Wasabi & Soy Sauce Almonds
Why do some of your seasoned products, such as Smokehouse®, have fewer carbohydrates per serving than your Whole Natural?
Products such as Smokehouse contain ingredients other than almonds. These additional ingredients have fewer carbohydrates than the almonds, resulting in a product with fewer carbohydrates per serving overall.
We currently do not offer organic products.
Blue Diamond does not add the ingredient MSG (monosodium glutamate) to our products.
The salt is not iodized.
While some forms of maltodextrin can contain gluten, we utilize maltodextrin made from corn. Corn does not contain gluten.
Some of our products use soy ingredients such as hydrolyzed soy protein, soybean oil, and soy lecithin. Whenever we utilize soy ingredients you will find "soy" indicated in the ingredient statement.
The following Blue Diamond snack almond products contain dairy ingredients.
- Bold Lime 'n Chili
- Bold Maui Onion & Garlic
- Bold Salt & Vinegar